Friday, October 14, 2005

Mash Note

On his way out of HQ yesterday, an older gentleman handed me the following note. It was photocopied onto a small slip of paper; clearly he had decided to hand a number of these notes out. I was honored to have received one.

"Dear Friend,

I have had the privilege of working in the Louisiana Headquarters for Disaster Mental Health Services (DMHS) in Baton Rouge during October, 2005.

Among the hundreds of people I have encountered during my service time, you made an impression on me. Through your smiles, thoughtfulness, and helpfulness, doing what it is you do, you became the face of the American Red Cross for at least this volunteer...I could not have been effective in carrying out my responsibilities without the aid and assistance you personally provided to me.

Thank you for what you have done for the ARC and the people of Louisiana and for helping me maintain my mental health while I shared the experience with you.

-R. Telsch
Virginia"

So thank you, Mr. Telsch, for reinforcing my belief that it matters not at all what one's job is; for as long as the job is done with kindness and humor it can make the world just a little nicer place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments on this post! We currently allow anyone to comment without registering. If you choose to use the "anonymous" option, please add your name or nickname to the bottom of your comment, within the main comment box. Getting feedback signed simply "anonymous" is kind of like having strangers shout things at us on the street: a bit disconcerting. Thanks!