Sunday, May 14, 2023


Happy Mothers' Day, everyone. Vector is nestled in the paint shed at the shipyard, and we're settled in to our AirBnB in the village of Mamaroneck, NY. Although our reservation here did not start until tomorrow, they put us in the shed earlier than we expected, and we were fortunate that the place was available and able to move our reservation up by a full week.

Vector flying through the air with the greatest of ease.

When we awoke on May Day, Manhasset Bay was a choppy mess in strong westerlies, and we waited until 9:30 to weigh anchor for the short cruise to Mamaroneck. The anchor did not come up quietly; the windlass struggled mightily and it came up with industrial tarp wrapped around it and holding us firmly in place. Paul from s/v Grit happened by in his tender and gave us a hand getting free. We thanked him, said goodbye, and started to make our way out of the harbor, hoping the sound would be only mildly uncomfortable for the crossing.

Bob Derecktor was famous in both the yachting and shipbuilding communities and this, the original Derecktor Shipyard, is a local landmark.

I texted yard manager Steve at Derecktor Shipyards to let him know we were under way and to give him an ETA. A few minutes later he texted back to say that winds were too high in the harbor for good docking conditions, and we waved off for a day. That was actually a relief, as we were not looking forward to the crossing. We turned around and dropped the hook in a little-used anchorage on the far western edge of Manhasset Bay, where we had stopped on our very first visit here (map), for a bit more protection from the westerlies.

Vector in her berth. Aluminum work boat just to our starboard is a research vessel belonging to the university system. Sailboat in the foreground, in the slings, is awaiting being splashed.

I spent the day up on the flybridge, making more progress on removing hardware. It was too windy to be up the mast, so instead I worked on the upper helm, removing the controls for the stabilizers, spotlight, and deck lights as well as the Garmin GPS "mushroom" on the coaming that provides position data when the mast is lowered. The wind laid down just enough for us to go ashore at Morgan's Dock for a final dinner at Pepe Rosso, after making a quick drop-off at The UPS Store.

Working on removing the lights from the now prone mast. Corrosion is evident behind the spotlight.

Tuesday morning things were much calmer and we once again weighed anchor to head for Mamaroneck. We had a calm crossing, and I was able to make some phone calls about getting a pumpout, as it was still not working in Port Washington as of our departure. Unfortunately, the Mamaroneck Harbormaster also allowed that their pump was down, and I had a frustrating hour calling everyone else. Eventually we learned there was a boat that serviced the whole county starting early May, and we signed up for an appointment online.

We had not heard any aircraft here since arriving, so when the unmistakable thunder of military helicopters grew closer, I went on deck to find these VH-3D "presidential white tops," normally used for Marine One, flying by. No idea if it was a presidential movement or just preparation.

When we arrived to the harbor we went down the west channel to the pumpout dock anyway, on the off chance they had somehow got it working since our call two hours earlier, but no dice. We drove around to the east basin, which on May 2 was completely devoid of moored boats, and pulled up to our assigned dock at Derecktor Shipyard, sliding in port-side-to so we could offload the scooters. After getting them on the dock we dropped lines and turned around to be starboard-side-to, per the yard's instructions.

Louise providing some scale for the heavy lifting tackle Vector will soon be hanging from. Greenwich ferry Indian Harbor behind her is in for replacement of badly corroded hull plating.

By the time we had turned around and gotten squared away, there were already a half dozen boats moored in the harbor -- the local boat yards, harbormaster, and yacht club were all busy splashing boats for the season. This would continue all week, and as of this writing the harbor is nearly full. We got the code to the personnel door in the yard gate before they closed up and walked a couple of blocks to the Sedona Tap House for dinner and some well-deserved drafts.

Mast is mostly stripped and we are in position for the crane. Sailboat behind us is the one shown in the slings earlier, now with its mast re-stepped.

In the inevitable "hurry up and wait" of boatyard arrival, we sat right there at the dock for the rest of the week with little attention from the yard, other than a couple of planning conversations with Steve. That gave us plenty of time to get the lay of the land in our new home. At least when I was not busy removing appurtenances from the exterior of the boat. Thursday was our 20th wedding anniversary, and we had a nice dinner at Nonna Carolla, at the higher end of the dozen-odd Italian establishments in walking distance.

The davit crane in its constituent pieces.

Crane base removed for the first time in two decades. Held down with ten 5/16" through bolts.

Friday we got to see the enormous 110-ton crane in operation, splashing a large sailing yacht and a small day boat before hauling an aluminum research vessel. It was good to see it working ahead of our own haulout, so we'd know what to expect. The crane was purchased used by Bill Derecktor over a half century ago from a Korean coal mining company that no longer had use for it, and it looks the part. It completely obsoleted the old marine railway on the property, which no longer extends into the water and now only serves to move boats from where the crane drops them, up the incline to the storage shed.

Awaiting the slings.

Steve had wandered by to suggest the guys would start stripping stuff off on Monday, and we would possibly be hauled later in the week. With no call back from the pumpout boat, I gave the harbormaster another call and learned the pump had been repaired. So we dropped lines at high tide and headed around to the other basin, this time threading through a labyrinth of moored boats, tying up at the rickety pumpout dock. The pump was working, but quit about halfway through the process. Oh well, better than nothing, and we still had a chance for the boat to get to us before haulout.

Also Friday we finally took the scooters out for a spin, riding down to nearby Larchmont for a grocery store. Larchmont is another village in the Town of Mamaroneck, not to be confused with the Village of Mamaroneck, also mostly in the Town of Mamaroneck, except for that part which is in the Town of Rye. New York is so confusing. We only needed a few items to tide us over, but it was good to get out and see more of the neighborhood.

A different view of the lift; still another dozen feet or so to go.

The weekend afforded us the opportunity to clear out every locker, bin, nook, and cranny on the weather decks to be ready for sanding. Some of the locker contents went straight to the dumpster, and some ended up on the dock with a "free" sign on it, including the table and folding chairs from the aft deck. We had no place to store them, and they're due for replacement anyway. Also in the give-away pile are the five A-4 round fenders that started life orange but are now a sort of light pink. There's so much dirt embedded in them now that we dare not put them against a new paint job, and we're just going to bite the bullet and replace them.

Locker contents that we're keeping, piled on the deck.

On Sunday we got out the winch and finally lowered the mast, as I was at an impasse, unable to remove any more hardware without unweighting the cables. Also, the bolts for the radar are inaccessible with the mast fully raised.  I promptly removed the radar, mast and spreader lights, and several antennas, many of which had never been moved since the boat left the builder's yard in Nova Scotia two decades ago.

Guiding Vector onto the blocks on the trolley. The yard guys are very blasé about standing under 55 tons hanging from a sling.

Monday the yard started first thing, and they wasted no time. Hardware started flying off the boat. While the guys worked on the main deck, I finished on the boat deck, getting the last items off the mast and disassembling what was left of the crane, which I had started dismantling on Thursday. The base has never been off the deck since new, and I was a bit miffed to find at least three of the fasteners loose. I could not get to the nuts until the yard guys removed the overhead panel below them, which I was unable to free on my own.

Jack stands in place, crane released, and being winched into the shed.

In the middle of all this, Steve came by to announce we'd be hauled the next day, and quite possibly in the shed before day's end. That sent Louise to the AirBnB site to see if we could get in here any sooner. We had both figured to be on the hard outside for at least a day before being booted off our own boat. Fortunately, they were able to commit to starting our rental on Tuesday.

Swim step had to come off to fit.

From that moment on Monday until we left the yard at closing time Tuesday felt like an all-out scramble. Hurry up and wait, as it so often does, turned immediately into everything happens all at once. In and among all the prep, we dropped lines Monday afternoon and moved the boat around to the crane side of the dock, just in time for an incoming 80' Burger motor yacht to take our spot.

Final position.

Tuesday morning they dropped the slings in the water and lined Vector in. We had each packed a small bag with, among other things, our laptops, to spend the day off the boat. And then we took our positions for our most nerve-wracking haul-out to date, with Louise on the dock and myself atop the bulkhead two stories above. It took one small test lift to get the slings in the right spot, and just a few minutes later she was flying some 30' above the water.

Pressure washing exposed this bare steel, revealing the section was not properly profiled, causing the primer to separate. Pattern suggests it was due to jack stand placement. Sunglasses for scale.

The crane operator lowered Vector to just a few feet off the ground in the washdown area and they secured the tag lines to heavy cleats while one of the crew pressure-washed the bottom. We retreated to the customer lounge with our laptops and then walked next door to the Mamaroneck Diner for a late breakfast. When we returned the pressure washing was done and they were swinging the boat over to the blocks, placed on steel I-beams with rail wheels.

Bow eye after removing snubber shackle. Nine years ago this hole was perfectly round and a tight fit to a 3/4" shackle pin.

After lunch they finished up making the "cradle" with jack stands set onto the rail trolleys and released the crane. Vector was now a temporary rail car. They pulled the assembly into the shed with a giant winch until it was just a few feet from the Admiral Richard E. Bennis, a NY Waterways fast ferries in the shop for a propulsion change. They had to take our swim step off the transom to even get the doors closed.

We seem to be following this ferry way too close.

It was past 2 by the time they got a ladder set up, and we had less than an hour to secure the boat for the night and grab a few things to take to our new digs. The whistle blows right at 3, just like in the Flintstones, and the entire shop goes dark. We were a bit late off the boat, and in our haste to make it back upstairs before the whole place locked down, Louise managed to tumble down the last three steps of the giant aluminum ladder, banging herself up pretty good. Just bruises and scrapes, but she's still recovering.

Very beefy aluminum boarding ladder positioned next to our forward gate. It's 20 steps up and one down. The last couple of steps at the bottom is where Louise took a spill.

We arrived here at our AirBnB by scooter around 3:30 or so. We have the entire second floor of a house that's over a century old. Likely it was a single-family when built, and was converted into a duplex long ago. We have a bedroom with bath, a living/dining room with a sewing nook (what, I think, sold Louise on the place), and a kitchen. I guess as apartments go, it's pretty average, but to us it feels enormous and we are rattling around. It's pleasant enough, but we learned in short order that there is not a single comfortable seat in the entire place. There are two identical couches that were probably a C-note apiece on Wayfair and have no padding whatsoever -- you can feel spring steel when you sit.

Gratuitous shot of the work on the ferry. The yard fabricated these new aluminum aft hulls for a conventional drive after removing some kind of fancy outdrives. They had to move the fabrication jigs out of the shop to fit Vector.

The very next day when I returned to the yard I marched back to the dock and grabbed the two sling chairs we keep on the boat deck. We were wondering where to store those anyway, and so I just strapped them to the back of my scooter, along with the little folding outdoor table we'd already labeled "free," and had them home by lunch time. Not great for hours of sitting, but better than what we had. We shoehorned one of the sofas, which must have weighed all of 40 pounds, into the bedroom to make room in the living room.

Our new digs. Louise rearranged all the furniture over two days so we could use these more comfortable deck chairs we brought from the boat.

I spent the rest of the week pulling more hardware off the boat, punctuated by moments of helping the yard guys remove the various pieces they were handling. I tried to make a list of all the things we removed over the past two weeks. The yard starts every morning at 6:30 and goes to 3, with lunch and scheduled break. I've been keeping mostly the same hours, coming home for lunch. Louise comes by several times a day to schlep additional scooter loads of stuff to the apartment and start the process of covering all our remaining worldly goods in plastic.

How to know you are in a high-end boatyard. This is the urinal plumbing in the workmen's rest room, the one I had to ask a worker about since the office only showed me to the nice customer one. 316 stainless plumbing with compression unions, on custom welded stand-offs made from 316 stainless finish round, all perfectly rectilinear. "Shop supplies."

I'm going to say it's taken a bit more than a half dozen scooter trips to get most of what we need over here. I've been mostly riding the e-bike back and forth, since it's easier to keep out of the way in the very cramped yard. But we now have all our food, enough clothes, and a fair share of Louise's sewing supplies here for the duration. Mostly I am just going back to work, and it feels a lot like an 8-4 job now.

The stainless anchor bash plate is off for the first time in two decades. Not as bad as I feared underneath.

The whirlwind week had me completely exhausted by Friday evening, and so I am just as glad that the yard closes down for the weekend and we have no access to the boat, so I can't work even if I want to. I spent most of yesterday in a vegetative state, recovering. By tomorrow I will be champing at the bit to get started again, and I've added a dozen items to the to-do list over the weekend.

As much as we wanted to get away with leaving some of the larger, harder-to-remove stuff in place, we just couldn't. This is the poultice corrosion around the starboard wiper spindle. The paint came off in my fingers.

I have a few more items to remove, but I should be mostly done by maybe Tuesday. And I'm adding projects that make sense to do while the boat is torn apart, including adding floodlights and cameras and additional access to the mast to make it easier to run wires. My hope is to get all my holes drilled before paint starts, so it will all be seamless later.

Giant pile of all the outside stuff, now inside.

We've been here nearly two weeks now, and so far we've not eaten in the same restaurant twice, save for the diner, where we've had both a breakfast and a dinner. Tonight, in honor of the Mothers' Day crowds, we will eat here in the unit for the first time. All of those meals were in walking distance except one, when we had vaccination appointments in Larchmont and ate in their cute downtown instead. Apart from the ones already mentioned, we've so far tried:
  • Herradura (Mexican)
  • Sal's Pizza (best we've had in quite a while, although a charmless room)
  • Red Plum (Hibachi/Sushi/Japanese)
  • La Gladys (Peruvian, with my first Pisco Sour since actually being in Peru)
  • Frankie & Fanucci's (Italian, with an excellent local dark lager on draft and a great salad)
  • SmokeHouse Tailgate Grill (bbq and burgers with an excellent selection of drafts)
  • Rio Bravo (Mexican food in Larchmont, near the train station)
  • Modern on the Rails (fine Italian, in the old Mamaroneck train station)
  • Decadent Ales Brewery and Taproom (draft beer with a few food items from a concessionaire)
  • Avenue Bagels (bagel joint with chaotic service and just OK bagels)
We've also been to the local no-name dollar store, where we needed some essentials for the unit such as a broom and a rubber bathtub mat, and I had my hair cut at Giovanni's, who apparently used to cut Bob Derecktor's hair back in the day and seemed to know half the yard guys.

The starboard boat deck and flybridge rail was fabricated in a single section some 30' long. I'm holding the forward end just off-camera as the yard lowers it with the hoist.

There's a deli just a block away where I popped in the first night for snacks and some milk for our morning coffee; they have enough essentials to obviate any emergency trips to the grocery in Larchmont. And we're just a couple of blocks from the train station (we hear the trains all day and night) which will be handy when I finally have enough time for some leisure in the city, or when we connect with some friends over Memorial Day. A beer store rivaling the beer sections of BevMo or Total Wine is also a short walk away.

Boat deck with the rails and most everything else gone. The edge is 20' above a concrete floor and I am staying off this area unless absolutely necessary.

Apart from being exhausted, I'm very happy with the pace at the yard. At this rate I would think they will have no problem finishing within two months. The paint we were planning on is having delivery issues and we will be using PSX-700 from PPG (formerly Ameron) instead, so we are back to having to chose a specific color, but that should not hold us up any. The boat should be stripped naked by Tuesday some time and I would imagine they will start sanding and blasting shortly thereafter.

Half of Modern on the Rails, in the second oldest station on the New Haven Line.

Before I wrap up, here is a partial list of things that have been removed from the boat in a little over a week's time.

Removed by me:
  • radar
  • two vhf antennas and mounts
  • two SSB antennas and mounts
  • WiFi antenna
  • anchor light
  • masthead light
  • spotlight
  • two spreader lights
  • tv antenna and mount
  • Furuno plotter GPS antenna and mount
  • AIS transponder GPS antenna and mount
  • Comnav satellite compass and mount
  • cleats and pad-eyes for flag hoists
  • mast access panels
  • spotlight controls
  • stabilizer controls
  • navigation side lights
  • stern light
  • main fuel tank vent cover
  • Garmin GPS "mushroom" and mount
  • Furuno plotter
  • three windshield wipers, motors included
  • three windshield washers
  • deck lights
  • scooter chocks and their pad-eyes
  • davit crane, in four large pieces and numerous small ones
  • dinghy chocks
  • life raft and mount
  • EPIRB mount
  • life ring mount
  • boat deck rear access hatch
  • outside power outlets and inlet
  • deck shower
  • hose bib
  • starlink antenna and wiring
  • anchor snubber
  • Kahlenberg horns
Removed by yard personnel:
  • five boarding gates with hardware
  • four locker doors with hardware
  • overhead panels on aft and side decks
  • rub rails
  • 13 hawse pipes
  • deck rails
  • 12 cleats
  • anchor (from chain)
  • anchor roller
  • anchor bash plate
  • mast (from deck with hoist)
  • swim platform
A short clip of part of the lift. You can see a yard worker running up the ramp holding the forward tag line.

I'll be pretty scarce around here until we're done with the yard, but I will update when I can. We have to be out of this unit by July 1, which may or may not be after we again have access to the boat. We may well be looking for alternative quarters by this time next month. For now we are settled in and trying to readjust to landlubber life. Long-time readers will know that the last time we were painted, we moved into a borrowed RV, which is a lot more like the boat than an apartment, but I am sure we'll get the hang of it in due time.


  1. You create adventure with every situation, Sean. Even though yhis is the second painting, it serms like you are learning even more about Vector, every inch this haul out. Best wish for complete satisfaction snd speedy recovery for Loise.

  2. I'm glad its your credit card that will have to release Vector and not mine. The longest we were ever on the hard was a week and that was a scary enough bill to last a lifetime. My rule was I always wanted to be the biggest boat in the yard. They get used to writing invoices based on the size of the boat. If they're accustomed to writing big (c/w your boat) invoices its going to hurt even more. I hope the paint goes well - exciting times.

    1. Yeah. Price we pay for having a metal boat.

    2. Metal - plastic - lumber. They're all just a fancy hole in the water. Hold your wallet open over the hole and shake it.

  3. I made it through all the pics and even read a few paragraphs!

  4. Good grief what an exhausting amount of hard work.Hope Derecktor's comes through with excellent workmanship.


Share your comments on this post! We currently allow anyone to comment without registering. If you choose to use the "anonymous" option, please add your name or nickname to the bottom of your comment, within the main comment box. Getting feedback signed simply "anonymous" is kind of like having strangers shout things at us on the street: a bit disconcerting. Thanks!