Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Website Wednesday: Confessions of a Comics Junkie

On Wednesdays I write about websites that I visit often.

The Internet is a fantastic development for full-time RVers. It allows us to read periodicals anywhere we are. Favorite magazine? Most are available on-line. Daily newspaper? Ditto.

I'm the kind of person who always pulls the comics section out of the newspaper first. If I get around to the rest of the paper later, that's a bonus. But I read the funnies everyday.

I get most of my comics fix on the road from these two sites:

My Comics

Comics.com

Both charge a small fee for sending daily strips to my e-mail inbox, around $12 per year. Comics.com will also let you browse many for free on their site. I subscribe to many of the classics like Doonesbury, For Better or For Worse, and Pickles this way. In addition, I "test-drive" new strips for a few weeks to see if they have staying power. After five years or so of using these services, I read about 90 strips while drinking my morning coffee.

I told you I was a junkie! No dead-tree newspaper in the world carries that many comics. As a bonus, they are almost all in color.

I also read several free, web-only comics. These tend to be odd, so browse at your own risk.

Questionable Content (the name and the subject)


xkcd (geeky computer and math humor)

Basic Instructions (my current favorite)

Girly (sort of anime weirdness)

I also like two sites that analyze comics. These poke fun at bad artwork, belittle lame jokes, and generally are just snarky:

The Comics Curmudgeon (roasting the dailies)

Cartoon Violence (eviscerating the politicals)

Anyone else getting a daily electronic fix of the funnies? Remember: it's not an addiction, it's a way of saving trees, reducing clutter and saving the planet! (Yeah, right.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments on this post! We currently allow anyone to comment without registering. If you choose to use the "anonymous" option, please add your name or nickname to the bottom of your comment, within the main comment box. Getting feedback signed simply "anonymous" is kind of like having strangers shout things at us on the street: a bit disconcerting. Thanks!