Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Website Wednesday: Making a Spectacle of Myself

On Wednesdays I write about websites that I visit often.

Three weeks ago, I ordered new glasses from Hong Kong over the internet. One of the reasons I was so eager to get our mail this week was to receive my new specs.

Our mail was forwarded to us March 6th, and I ordered the glasses on February 27th. Since two shiny pairs of glasses were in the mail box, that means they took no more than 8 days to ship from Hong Kong. And you may recall that I paid less than $70 for the two.

I am sooooo happy with them! Just like my last pairs from Optical4Less, the prescription is perfectly ground.

So how do the frames look? If you recall, I ordered this pair as sunglasses:



Here they are on me:



I think they turned out very nice. The style has an opening between the corners of the frames and the edge of the lens. I thought that might be odd for sunglasses, but it turns out to be no problem at all.

I also ordered these funky blue glasses:



On my face:



You can see that I'm grinning like an idiot because I am just tickled pink (or blue!) with this style. They are not quite as bright a blue as the website showed, which is fine. And the first photo looks like the blue is a solid piece, but it is actually layers of different shades that look like they are laminated together. So the glasses are quite detailed up close. The frame is a "rimless" style: the lens is attached only along the top "eyebrow" part of the frame, and a thin piece of filament (like fishing line) wraps around the edge of the lens to hold it in place. The workmanship is impeccable.

Can you tell I'm thrilled with my new glasses? Buying them online really works for me. I know a couple of commenters said they might try it, too. I hope they'll come back and let us know if they were happy with their experience.

10 comments:

  1. I like those blue glasses - what a good color for you!

    I started wearing somewhat-funky glasses a while ago, and there's no going back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jeri!

    I know what you mean about "no going back." I have a really expensive, plain pair of progressive bifocals that I haven't worn since I got my first "funky" pair. I put them on and think, "Meh." I wear so little jewelry that bright glasses help spice things up a bit, visually.

    But, oh no! I'm starting to have Glasses Clutter on the bathroom counter top! Hey, I know a really good blog that might find some solutions to that problem (hint, hint).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it great to be able to find affordable glasses?

    Here is another link in case you want to check it out. My husband is planning on ordering some new glasses from there once his prescription arrives in the mail this week.

    http://zennioptical.com/cart/product.php?productid=473&cat=&page=1

    We have heard it is good from another person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, I've heard good things about Zenni, too. When I first was looking into buying glasses online the two sites were both rated very highly. Let us know how your husband's glasses turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. The stuff you learn on RV blogs. I'll definitely try the Hong Kong connection for my next pair. Recently retired, we lost our medical coverage for glasses, and this will be a big help. Thanks! -- Jon

    ReplyDelete
  6. From your last post about it, I wanted to order a couple of pairs for my husband, but he's reluctant to buy without trying them on. Apparently, he needs shorter than normal temples. Whatever, I'm going to try them for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the glasses! I have to say after clicking around a bit on your blog, I am fascinated with Odyssey and your travels! Will definitely be coming back for another visit!

    Thanks so much for your kinds words on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, am intrigued by your travels! I've spent the last hour that I should be working perusing your site. ;)

    Someday when my children are grown maybe The Man and I will hit the road. There's so much to see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. See? Told you I was intrigued. I kept reading. ;)

    I read about your travels down here to my neck of the woods (West Palm Beach) and how Sean was staying in John Prince Park and it made me think of Geocaching (because there are a few caches in that park) and I thought how you might enjoy doing it with your travels all over the country. Have you ever heard of it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Jon: You're welcome. Good luck and let us know your experience.

    @Ann (I don't feel I know you well enough to call you "Smelly" yet): There is a place on the order form where you can enter the temple length of your current glasses, so that might help your hubby.

    @Mrs. Brownstone: Thanks for your kind words. Hope to see you back soon!

    @DS: The header on your site always cracks me up. Did you make it yourself? We've heard of Geocaching and know some folks who love it, but have never tried it ourselves. We're really more the "sip wine and gaze at the scenery" types...

    ReplyDelete

Share your comments on this post! We currently allow anyone to comment without registering. If you choose to use the "anonymous" option, please add your name or nickname to the bottom of your comment, within the main comment box. Getting feedback signed simply "anonymous" is kind of like having strangers shout things at us on the street: a bit disconcerting. Thanks!