Friday, December 21, 2007

Fuzzy Friday: Oh, rats!

On Fridays I write about our pets

I was touched by this story about the loss of a pet rat. We become so attached to our animal companions.

I've always wanted to have a rat, ever since a friend in 4th grade had one. I don't remember the girl's name, but I remember the rat's: Sassy. I was amazed at how clean and affectionate the little rodent was. So alert and fun.

My god-daughter had a rat named Velvet for several years. That was one very spoiled and well-loved creature. We all shed a tear when Velvet passed over the Rainbow Bridge, even the Mom of the house, my friend L. L resisted getting a rat for many months and surprised herself at how fond she became of Velvet, I think.

We rat-sat Velvet once, and it didn't work out so well. Opal and our older cat, Granette, spent Velvet's entire visit staring at the cage. Granette managed to get her front leg into the cage up to her armpit and swung it wildly around at poor, cowering Velvet until we locked the predators out of the room. That unfortunate incident convinced me that cats and rats probably shouldn't cohabitate.

I would think a rat would make a pretty good RV pet. Anyone traveling with one?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments on this post! We currently allow anyone to comment without registering. If you choose to use the "anonymous" option, please add your name or nickname to the bottom of your comment, within the main comment box. Getting feedback signed simply "anonymous" is kind of like having strangers shout things at us on the street: a bit disconcerting. Thanks!